Home..........About..........Online Shop..........Etsy Shop..........Folksy Shop..........Newsletter....

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

The Mouse Hole - Where it all began

Below: Inside the Mouse Hole                                                                     Above:Granny's Shop "The Mouse Hole"

Hello everyone, Anna here. Today I thought I would tell you how The House of Mouse came to be what it is today.

The story starts with my Granny, Margret Greaves. Granny and my Grandad “Crispy” (short for Christopher) lived in a little seaside village called Mousehole (pronounced “Mou-zul”) in Devon, England. They owned a little shop on the seafront that sold Crispy’s watercolor paintings, tourist gifts, postcards, shells and little felt mice that my Granny made. Granny would sew these little mice during the winter when the shop was quiet; she made them wearing little costumes – a priest, a chef, a gypsy lady and many others.

Sadly Granny passed away when I was only three, so I don’t really remember her. I have a vague memory of being in her shop – where the shelves seemed to go up forever - But I grew up with her little mice peeking out of nooks and crannies in my parents’ home. Many of the mice came to live with us after Granny died.


Granny's mice still live with Anna's parents

I used to make my gifts for family and friends and for Christmas 2007 I took inspiration from Granny’s mice and decided to make one for everyone: A Chef mouse for an uncle that likes to cook, a photographer mouse for my snap-happy dad. I didn’t know Granny’s pattern or technique, so it took a month or so to work out my own. Everyone was so thrilled with their gifts! My Grannys three children - My dad and his two sisters - all said that I should sell them! Which is when I took my first steps to opening The House of Mouse on Etsy. My family regularly tell me how proud they think Granny would be, if she could see what I was doing now.




Granny and baby Anna
Taken in 1980

29 comments:

  1. This is a great post! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that is a great story ! Thanks for sharing this with us. I love the mouse on your granny's shop too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an amazing story to share with us!!! Thank you Anna!
    I love your granny's mice :)
    Sweet sweet story!

    ReplyDelete
  4. love this story!! the mice-making runs in your blood :D the granny's ones are beautiful and yes, i'm sure she would be so proud of you!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely story. I have been to Mousehole a number of times over the years (70s and 80s)so I may have bought something from that shop as I have bought a few things there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww what a sweet story and that gypsy mouse is so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Terrific post. It's really love that you've carried on the tradition. I'm sure she's very proud of you. I'm a fan of your work. I think it's really lovely!
    xx
    Mable

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is such a sweet story! What a legacy. It's really neat that you're doing this, it's such a nice way to share your Grandmother with all of us.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  9. Simply beautiful story! I love it when I see how such wonderful talents pass on to other generations. Your work is wonderful and I hope you'll amaze us for many, many years. Good luck to you :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. what a great story. Your grandmother would of been soooooooooo proud of what you do ! Did you make a tribute 'crispy' mouse already ;-) ?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a lovely story! I really enjoyed reading about how The House of Mouse came to be what it is today.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a touching story! Your granny would definitely be very proud of you! A great tribute, indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aww, What a lovely post. The shop looks very cute and I love that that's where you got the idea to create The house of mouse. Your Granny's mice are very cute and I think she'd be very proud of yours. This is lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. A sweet story! Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh now I know...I was always curious about why mice plushies?

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a lovely story. And I absolutely love the pic with the Mousehole !! What a precious place it must have been

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such a sweet story, how nice that somehow you are continueing a family tradition :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a wonderful Story Anna, It's fabulous that you have taken up the wonderful craft and I'm sure your Granny would be more than proud.

    ReplyDelete
  19. That is a special memorial to your gran.

    ReplyDelete
  20. A beautiful story, and such a wonderful looking shop too. It's very touching that you are carrying on her mouse-making tradition with your gorgeous little creations :) Erika Price Jewelry

    ReplyDelete
  21. Woow! I love your story!
    It's wonderful as you are recovering and maintain the tradition, I think your grandmother would be so proud!
    Thank you for sharing!
    I love, love, love!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. such a sweet story!thanks for sharing with us Anna!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love this story - the shop looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a wonderful post Anna. So nice to see how you started. And I love the old mousies and the picture of your Grandmother and you! Thanks for sharing, the mousies mean even more to me now, knowing this story! x

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great post :)
    Your granny must be so happy looking down at you now :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Now I know how it all started. Amazing and lovely story. Love the old mice, so much fun to compare them with your own designs. Each represent a time era.

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a great back story to how the shop got started! I love that you are paying tribute to your grandmother, and I agree - she would be so proud!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts